WONDERFUL® PISTACHIOS INVITES CANADA TO “GET SNACKIN’”
A new campaign that’s making headlines in the U.S.—and is finally here in Canada!—
features Jersey Shore’s Snooki in her television commercial debut!
Toronto, ON (November 22, 2010) – The Wonderful® Pistachios campaign, a pop culture phenomenon in the U.S., is set to premiere in Canada. The commercials, which feature five nutty pop culture personalities cracking open their pistachios as only they can, made headlines when they launched in the U.S. in 2009. The second generation U.S. campaign kicked off during the World Series, and the Canadian campaign—“Get Snackin’”—will air beginning on November 22, 2010, inviting snackers to crack open Wonderful Pistachios their own way.
Personalities featured in the Canadian campaign are Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi from MTV’s hit show Jersey Shore; NFL Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver and VH-1 star Chad Ochocinco; YouTube feline phenomenon “Keyboard Cat”; Wee-Man from Jackass 3-D, and Charles M. Schulz’s Peanuts gang. The series of commercials will air during prime-time favourites such as Big Bang Theory, Grey’s Anatomy, CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada and House, in addition to late-night programs, sporting event broadcasts and a range of cable network programs.
Canadian fans of Wonderful Pistachios can also follow their favourite celebrity nuts at Twitter.com/GetSnackin and watch exclusive Wonderful Pistachios video content on the brand’s YouTube channel including behind-the-scenes interviews with campaign personalities.
“The proof is in the pistachio,” says Dominic Engels, vice president, global marketing, Paramount Farms. “The success of our humor-roasted U.S. campaign shows that we clearly resonate with consumers. We’re confident that the campaign will receive the same response in Canada because it casts a wide net of talent, much like many of the reality shows seen on network television. There’s a personality in this campaign that will appeal to everyone.”
The Canadian crop of “Get Snackin’” commercials features the following storylines:
• Snooki Does It With UV Rays. Best known for her hair pouf and her tan, Snooki stands next to a tanning bed in a monokini. After flashing her trademark smile, she cracks open a pistachio on the tanning bed and shows us that pistachios now have a place in Jersey Shore’s famous mantra, “GTLP: gym, tan, laundry, pistachio!”
• Ochocinco Does It In The End Zone. As he does for every touchdown scored for the Cincinnati Bengals, Chad Ochocinco kneels in the end zone. Suddenly, he pops up and, with the shake and shimmy that earned him a fourth-place finish in Dancing With The Stars (plus countless fines by the NFL), he victoriously cracks a pistachio!
• Lucy Does It For Kicks. Lucy taunting Charlie Brown with a football is one of the most memorable gags from the Peanuts comic strip. This time, Lucy sets up Charlie’s big kick—and the big crack—with a Wonderful Pistachio!
• Keyboard Cat Does It Purrrrrrfectly. With a musical prowess that has given 12 million YouTube viewers a giggle, Keyboard Cat is shown tapping his signature tune. When a pistachio is placed on the key, he cracks it open with his paw and continues his performance.
• Wee-Man Does It Dangerously. Taking it to the extreme is part of Wee-Man’s DNA. And, when a projectile shoots out of a machine and smacks him dead center in the forehead, the force cracks the nut but not Wee-Man’s noggin.
To engage the online, amateur filmmaking community, Wonderful Pistachios partnered with Tadcast, which specializes in product placement advertising within online video. For effective online brand integration, select YouTube “stars” will produce their own pistachio-themed videos, tapping into their subscribers and followers whose combined creative have attracted more than 500 million views historically.
About Wonderful® Pistachios
The Wonderful Pistachios brand features upscale, premium packaging and a bold contemporary look, appealing to a sophisticated, health-conscious consumer. Wonderful Pistachios are grown in Lost Hills, California, part of the San Joaquin Valley, the agricultural heartland of California. Grown, processed and packaged by Paramount Farms, Wonderful Pistachios are available at retail outlets and grocery stores nationwide including Loblaws, Sobeys, Safeway, Metro, Overwaitea, Walmart, and are available in a variety of sizes. For more information about Wonderful Pistachios or the Get Snackin’ campaign, visit www.getsnackin.ca and www.twitter.com/getsnackin
About Paramount Farms
Part of Roll International Corporation, headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Paramount Farms is one of a group of privately owned, affiliated companies that comprise the largest farming operation of tree crops in the world. In addition to pistachios and almonds, Paramount Farms is also the largest producer and exclusive grower of the California Wonderful variety of pomegranates. Sister company, Paramount Citrus, is the largest orange and lemon packing facility in North America, the majority of which come from its own orchards, and the largest grower of Clementine mandarin oranges in the United States.
Nicole Manes, NKPR